Go Back   DFW Dirt Riders > General > Stolen Vehicles

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By hcbrf3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 05:46 PM
DDR Donator

Garage
Talking 07 Can Am Outlander 800 Max - Recovered

Hopefully this will give some others that have become victims some hope. On 4/2/2013 my truck with my beloved Can Am were stolen out of my driveway. Here is the post from that day.

Stolen truck with Can Am - Help

I remember the cop telling me several scenarios that he had seen or heard of happening. They may part it out, so keep an eye on Craigslist. They may drive though the night, and get it into Mexico before it is even reported stolen. They may throw it in a storage unit for about a year, then try to sell it. Over the last year, I have had several buddies with possible sightings.

This Saturday, 5/3/2014, I got a call from a detective. It was recovered with another quad and a Chevy pickup in Ferris, TX. This was done by the Ellis County Sheriff's Office. Report 14-05622 if anyone happens to have access to it, I haven't bothered trying to get a copy, but it would be interesting.

After paying $260 recovery fee, I was able to get it back into my possession and start assessing the damages. Since they didn't have the key, they couldn't get it to run. These Can Am's have a chip in the key. Only way around it is to buy another computer with the key, or get a race computer. couple months ago I bought another Can Am exactly like it, just one year newer, so it was nice having a donor machine. They had broken the ignition switch, shift linkage, main seat was missing, passenger seat pretty much rotted away, and the battery was toast. Gotta love E-Bay and fast shipping, I've already been able to replace everything.

One last thing I learned from this, besides insure my shit, is titling them can be important. I got this quad from Colorado after a rental gone bad. I bought it from the dealer, so I did have some paperwork and a shipping receipt with the VIN. Not to mention the police report and the key for the damn thing, but......the tow people could have really been a pain in the ass. The guy decided not to hassle me about it, but I guess he wasn't supposed to release it without seeing more than what I had. Not sure how true that really was for a quad, since they aren't required to be registered, and even new you may only get a Certificate of Origin. Anyways, they said it took them longer to find me without the registration. I should probably wade thought the legal BS to get a title for it. Oh, and don't give up hope and toss your keys. I knew exactly were mine was, on the remote chance I ever saw this thing again.
Joey, Mike K, Fed Ex Guy and 2 others like this.